When we celebrate death in the Church, if the loved one is a baptized Catholic it is customary to celebrate a Mass of Christian burial, however there are circumstances that may allow for a funeral service outside of the Mass.
When cremation is designated, the funeral rites are conducted in the usual way with the body present and cremation taking place after the celebration of the Funeral Mass at the church. In the circumstance when the bodily remains are cremated before the Funeral Mass, we still celebrate the Mass with the cremated remains present in the church and with the appropriate ritual adaptations.
When a Loved One Dies
Contact the funeral director first and they will contact the parish office with the death of the parishioner. The family may call the priest as well if they wish to notify of the death. The priest or the deacon will visit the family.
Family members may choose the Scripture readings for the Mass as well as songs, offertory participates, Eucharistic ministers and Lectors, etc. This Funeral Planning Form needs to be filled out and returned to the office. Please remember that we are here to help you and to offer both comfort and hope for the future. Contact us at the Parish Office at 419-629-2543 so we can answer your questions and assist you in identifying your preferences.
In cases where the family would like to have a eulogy, a member of the family should contact the priest or deacon to discuss this idea and begin the planning process with him. It must be brief and must be submitted in writing to the priest or deacon in advance of its deliverance. The priest or deacon is the guardian of the sacred liturgy, and needs to care for the integrity of the service and the reputation of the deceased. He has the right to edit or reject a suggested eulogy. It should concentrate upon the life of the loved one, highlighting his or her virtues and qualities. Good taste and good humor are appropriate.
Below is a brief list of the main differences between the church and the funeral directors duties but not limited to.
Holy Redeemer Offers:
- If needed, we will assist the family in choosing mass readings and songs, Eucharistic ministers, lectors, and mass servers.
- We print the programs for the distribution of those attending the funeral Mass.
- The funeral luncheon committee will provide the bereaved family with the luncheon before or after burial.
- A member of the parish bereavement committee will be in contact with you to offer their help and support after the funeral.
Funeral Directors Offers:
- They bring your deceased loved-one to the funeral home for burial preparations from the place of death.
- They help/assist in writing the obituary and send it to requested newspapers.
- The director will personalize and oversee the printing of the holy cards.
- Coordinates Pall Bearers (people that carry the casket to and out of the hearse)
- Works closely with the home parish to coordinate all funeral arrangements
- If requested, assist the burial to include solutes and gunfire at the burial site for Military and/or Servicemen.
Local Funeral Homes
Call the Church office at 419-629-2543 if you have recently lost a loved one and would like to begin making funeral arrangements or if you have any questions.