We are presently in the third constructed catholic church for New Bremen
The first church was a Catholic mission church named “Most Precious Blood.” It was
founded in 1872 when a small brick church was built on South Walnut Street at a cost of
$3,000. More than two-thirds of this money was contributed by non-Catholics of the town.
About twenty families worshipped at masses celebrated by the Reverend I. G. Selb who
was the assistant priest at the Minster parish. The church continued to be served by a
circuit riding priest of the Society of the Precious Blood. It had one Sunday mass monthly.
According to one record, the parish ceased to have services about 1895 and many
families continued to attend the Minster parish where their children were being educated
in the faith.The building was sold around 1907 and became the worship center for what is
known today as Faith Alliance Church.
In 1948, Reverend Leo Boeke, a diocesan priest, was appointed to make preparations for
the establishment of a permanent parish to be named “Church of the Holy Redeemer.”
Initially, a building located on North Main Street was used for worship. Meanwhile,
property was purchased at Pearl and Herman Streets. Subsequently, the North Main
Street building was relocated to the newly purchased property. Dedication of the new
church with a Solemn Mass was on June 27, 1948. The congregation had 100 families
and 1050 parishioners. Seating capacity was 200.
Rev. Carl Will oversaw the purchase of the rectory at 21 South Main Street, the purchase
of the property on South Eastmoor Drive, the construction of the present church in 1969,
and the parish center in 1976. Presently, 2015, Holy Redeemer has 720 registered
families and approximately 2200 parishioners.
In 1991, Rev. James Trick added the connector to link the church to the parish center, at
which time the entrance of the church was changed. According to Fr. Will, the 1969
church cost approximately $375,000, including the furnishings. It is situated on a
tract of land 9.114 acres. It was 12 months in building – from the groundbreaking
onApril 23, 1969 to the consecration of the main altar on May 15, 1970. Architects
were Schreiber and Little Associates of Springfield. Thomas and Marker,
Bellefontaine, was the general contractor. Seating capacity is 600.